Saturday, February 26, 2011

Great moments in work history - The eight year itch.

 About 10 years ago, I had a job in a housewares store.  As is the case with virtually all retail establishments, the customers do stupid shit, ask stupid shit, and of course, try to return stupid shit.

Dear customers -

I don't know how many times I have to day this.  I really don't.  Certain things are not meant to be returned.  If an item is damaged, of course, return it - within a reasonable amount of time.

 Let me put this into simpler terms...a day, a week, hell even a month - this is a reasonable amount of time.  More often than not, you need to present your original receipt at the time of the return.  If you come to me with a basting brush with a retail value of $8.00 - not exactly a great expenditure here - that you purchased eight fucking years ago, fuck you, you don't get a refund.  Yes, I see that it has exactly four bristles left.  You admitted that you bought it eight years ago.  After that amount of time, that basting brush doesn't owe you a fucking dime, and neither do we.

And no, you can't exchange it for a new one.  We don't even carry that one anymore.  No, I don't know why.  Maybe because the bristles spontaneously fall out after eight years.  Either we stopped carrying them, or you bought it someplace else.  That would be my guess, but that's just me.

Signed,
Your disgruntled retail associate.

No comments:

Post a Comment